Friday, June 10, 2005

Zymurgy Take IV - Curley Hefe

Hefeweizen in its natural habitat Posted by Hello

One of my newest hobbies just bore some more fruit last night as I pulled two bottles of my newly conditioned hefeweizen (Curley Hefe) batch for tasting. I brewed this beer about four weeks ago, using mostly liquid malt extract with a bit of Hellertau hops in there for a bit of bitterness. Let it ferment a little longer than the first three batches and then racked and bottled two weeks ago. Drum roll please...

The first bottle I pulled, and poured - first thing I noticed was the head. Whoa! I had to stop half pour to let the head settle down, I have never made a batch of beer that was this carbonated. Needless to say, I was very pleased with the result. With visions of Paulaner floating in my head, I swirled the sediment out of the bottom of the bottle and topped off my pint. Oops, don't do that with home brew, unless you like your beer extra chunky. The sediment consisted of flaky chunks of yeast and other unidentifiable particulates, not exactly the nice cloudy yeast sediment I was looking for.

*sip* hmmmm.....kind of crisp, a little sweet, definitely taste the hops, and a significant lack of that trademark 'soapy' yeasty flavor associated with your typical mass produced Hefeweizen. Not bad. Second bottle I poured after chilling maybe an hour in the fridge, same heavy head, but this one poured cloudier than the first. I added a wedge of lemon for kicks and *sip*. Whoomp there it is.

Not bad for batch #4, this will make a nice refreshing summer beer for those hot afternoons sitting on the deck. Batch #5, the High Sierra Pale Ale is in the secondary fermentation process in the basement right now, this one should be ready for APC to drink to her heart's content after our little girl is born. Will give you all an update after we taste that one in three weeks. All I gotta say is....

Hop Hop Hop!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home